Lesson Plan: Money and Place Value
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use a place value mat to build and decompose money amounts up to 1,000.
Students will be able to
- connect place value concepts to count money,
- calculate an amount of money using a place value mat,
- decompose amounts of money using a place value mat.
Students should already be familiar with
- the concept of place value and using place value blocks (ones, tens, and hundreds),
- modeling hundreds, tens, and ones using place value blocks,
- writing multiples of 1, 10, and 100 up to 1,000 using numerals,
- recognizing and counting money: 1 LE, 10 LE, 100 LE, 20 LE, 50 LE, and 200 LE.
Students will not cover
- the addition and subtraction of money,
- comparing amounts of money.