Lesson Plan: Dividing a Four-Digit Number by a Two-Digit Number Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use long division to divide four-digit numbers by two-digit numbers in calculations with and without remainders.
Students will be able to
- use the standard long division algorithm to divide four-digit numbers by two-digit numbers, including when there are remainders.
Students should already be familiar with
- using the standard long division algorithm to divide three-digit numbers by two-digit numbers,
- solving division calculations where there are remainders,
- extending known multiplication facts up to to related facts involving multiples of 10 and 100.
Students will not cover
- dividing by numbers with more than two digits,
- divisions involving fractions or decimals.