Lesson Plan: Word Problems: Taking Apart Mathematics • Kindergarten
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to solve word problems that involve splitting a group of up to 10 objects into two parts.
Students will be able to
- use images to solve “breaking apart” word problems,
- use objects to model how to break apart a number in order to solve a problem,
- use part–whole models to model how to break apart a number in order to solve a problem,
- solve word problems by expressing them as subtraction equations.
Students should already be familiar with
- taking apart numbers up to 10,
- the subtraction symbol and subtraction equations.
Students will not cover
- subtraction problems involving numbers greater than 10.