Lesson Plan: Correlation Mathematics • 8th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to deal with linear correlation and distinguish between different types of correlation.
Students will be able to
- understand and describe how two different variables can be related,
- determine if two different variables have a linear or nonlinear relationship,
- describe the relationship between two different variables in terms of positive and negative correlation,
- describe how strongly correlated two different variables are based on the proximity to a line of best fit on a scattergraph or a scattergraph without a line of best fit.
Students should already be familiar with
- plotting coordinates on scattergraphs to show the relation between two variables,
- line of best fit,
- one-variable statistics.
Students will not cover
- calculating the correlation coefficient for two variables,
- finding the equation of the line of best fit.