Lesson Plan: Estimating Products: Multiply Numbers up to Three Digits Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use rounding and compatible numbers to estimate the products of two- and three-digit numbers.
Students will be able to
- estimate the product of two numbers with up to three digits by rounding the factors to the nearest 10 or 100,
- estimate the product of two numbers with up to three digits using compatible numbers.
Students should already be familiar with
- rounding two- or three-digit numbers to the nearest 10 or 100,
- multiplying two- or three-digit numbers by 10 or 100,
- multiplication tables up to .
Students will not cover
- finding the product of two numbers with up to three digits using formal written multiplication strategies.