Lesson Plan: Dividing by Proper Fractions Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to divide whole numbers and proper fractions by proper fractions.
Students will be able to
- divide whole numbers by proper fractions by finding the reciprocal and multiplying,
- divide proper fractions by proper fractions by finding the reciprocal and multiplying,
- solve word problems involving the division of whole numbers by proper fractions or the division of two proper fractions.
Students should already be familiar with
- representing fractions using bar models, tape diagrams, and shape-based models,
- multiplying a whole number by a proper fraction and multiplying two proper fractions.
Students will not cover
- dividing improper fractions or mixed numbers.