Lesson Plan: nth Roots: Integers Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to work out 𝑛th roots of integers, where 𝑛 is a positive integer greater than or equal to 2.
Students will be able to
- evaluate numerical expressions involving the root of an integer,
- understand that is the inverse operation to ; hence, ,
- understand that if is even, then is positive by definition.
Students should already be familiar with
- writing powers with integer exponents as repeated multiplication,
- evaluating powers with integer exponents.
Students will not cover
- finding the roots of a number that is not an integer,
- finding complex number solutions to root problems,
- roots of algebraic expressions,
- writing roots with fractional exponents.