Lesson Plan: Dividing Decimals by Two-Digit Numbers Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use long division to divide a decimal number with up to two decimal places by a two-digit whole number.
Students will be able to
- divide a number between 1 and 1 000 with 1 or 2 decimal places by a whole number between 11 and 99,
- divide decimals using long division and check the answer by multiplying,
- divide decimals using long division and check the answer against an estimate,
- place the decimal point correctly in the quotient.
Students should already be familiar with
- multiplication facts up to and related division facts,
- dividing a decimal by a one-digit number.
Students will not cover
- dividing decimals with more than two places,
- quotients with more than two decimal places.