Lesson Plan: Transcription Biology
This lesson plan includes the objectives and prerequisites of the lesson teaching students how to describe the process of transcription and to outline the roles of DNA, mRNA, and RNA polymerase.
Students will be able to
- outline the flow of genetic information from DNA to mRNA,
- describe the process of transcription, including the role of RNA polymerase(s) in prokaryotes and eukaryotes,
- use knowledge of bases and base pairings to convert DNA sequences into mRNA sequences,
- recall where transcription occurs in a eukaryotic cell,
- describe post-transcriptional modifications that occur in eukaryotes such as the splicing of introns and the addition of poly(A) tails.
Students should already be familiar with
- the concept that DNA is the genetic material of an organism,
- the general structure of DNA and RNA.