Lesson Plan: Place Value: Tenths, Hundredths, and Thousandths Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to identify the place value of digits in numbers with three decimal places and state the value of each digit.
Students will be able to
- state the place value of any digit in a number with 3 decimal places,
- state the value of any digit in a number with 3 decimal places,
- understand the relationship between digits in different places.
Students should already be familiar with
- the place value of tenths and hundredths,
- modeling decimal numbers with up to 3 decimal places,
- writing decimal numbers with up to 3 decimal places.
Students will not cover
- the place value of numbers with four decimal places,
- converting between fractions and decimals.