Lesson Plan: Frequency Table Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to construct frequency tables and grouped frequency tables and represent data as a histogram or bar graph.
Students will be able to
- construct a frequency table or a grouped/cumulative frequency table from a given data set,
- construct a histogram, cumulative frequency histogram, or bar graph from a given data set,
- understand the types of data required for a histogram and a bar graph and use this to determine which type of graph is suitable for a given data set,
- solve comparison problems, interpret data, and identify key features on bar graphs and histograms.
Students should already be familiar with
- data sets and tables,
- variables and types of data,
- measures of central tendency and outliers.
Students will not cover
- double bar graphs,
- histograms with uneven widths,
- relative frequency histograms.