Lesson Plan: Relative Velocity Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate the relative velocity of a particle with respect to another and how to calculate a relative velocity vector.
Students will be able to
- calculate the relative velocity of a particle with respect to another particle,
- calculate a relative velocity vector,
- solve relative velocity problems that involve finding an unknown time or distance or velocity within a system.
Students should already be familiar with
- vectors in 2D,
- vector addition and subtraction.
Students will not cover
- 3D systems,
- nonuniform velocities,
- differentiation or integration to find velocity.