Lesson Plan: Oxidation Numbers Chemistry
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate and use oxidation numbers.
Students will be able to
- calculate the oxidation numbers of elements in compounds and ions,
- describe changes in oxidation numbers in terms of the oxidation and reduction occurring within a chemical reaction,
- identify a redox reaction through the change of oxidation number,
- understand the relevance of redox reactions to oxidation states,
- describe disproportionation.
Students should already be familiar with
- reduction and oxidation in terms of electron transfer.
Students will not cover
- using oxidation numbers to balance redox reactions by combining half-equations.