Lesson Plan: Word Problems: Adding Numbers up to 20 Mathematics • 1st Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to interpret and solve addition word problems with sums up to 20.
Students will be able to
- model and write number sentences for word problems,
- choose an appropriate strategy to solve word problems,
- find missing addends in word problems,
- check that the answer to a word problem makes sense.
Students should already be familiar with
- strategies to find the sum of numbers up to 20.
Students will not cover
- subtraction word problems,
- word problems with sums over 20.