Lesson Plan: Moment of a Force about a Point in 3D Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives and prerequisites of the lesson teaching students how to find the moment of vector forces acting on a body about a point in 3D.
Students will be able to
- express the moment of a force as a vector,
- find the moment of a force (or system of forces) in 3D when given the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on the system and the 3D coordinates of the relevant points,
- find the moment of a force (or system of forces) in 3D when given the forces acting on the system, expressed on a diagram.
Students should already be familiar with
- finding the length of the perpendicular between the line of action of the force and a point,
- the vector (cross) product,
- finding the determinant of a matrix,
- moments in 2D.