Lesson Plan: Simplifying Monomials: Product Rule Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to simplify monomials using the multiplication rule of exponents.
Students will be able to
- simplify a monomial by rewriting it in index notation,
- recognize the product rule for exponents,
- use the product rule of exponents to simplify a monomial involving
- a single variable,
- a single variable and constants,
- two variables,
- two variables and constants,
- solve more complex problems, such as writing and simplifying monomials for a geometric problem.
Students should already be familiar with
- writing algebraic expressions,
- powers and exponents.
Students will not cover
- noninteger exponents,
- negative exponents.