Lesson Plan: Telling Time in Words: Time to the Half Hour Mathematics • 1st Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to tell time to the half hour on analog or digital clocks and record the time in words.
Students will be able to
- read the time to the half hour shown on an analog clock or digital clock,
- write in words the time to the half hour shown on an analog or digital clock,
- correctly position the hands on analog clocks to show times to the half hour,
- recognize common mistakes made when telling time to the half hour.
Students should already be familiar with
- telling the time to the hour on analog and digital clocks,
- recording o’clock times in words,
- understanding the term half (in the context of halfway around the clock face).
Students will not cover
- writing times in digital form,
- use of am/pm,
- 24-hour clock times.