Lesson Plan: Applications of Newton’s Second Law: Inclined Pulley Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives and prerequisites of the lesson teaching students how to solve problems on the motion of two bodies connected by a string passing over a smooth pulley with one of them on an inclined plane.
Students will be able to
- find missing forces and masses in a system involving one body on an inclined plane, connected to another body suspended below a smooth pulley,
- use Newton’s second law of motion and the equations of motion to solve inclined plane and pulley problems,
- find the force exerted on the pulley connecting a mass on an inclined surface to a vertically hanging mass.
Students should already be familiar with
- problems involving a mass on a horizontal surface and a vertically hanging mass,
- resolving systems on a smooth or rough inclined plane,
- Newton’s second law of motion,
- the equations of motion.