Lesson Plan: Volumes of Cones Mathematics • 8th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate volumes of cones and solve problems including real-life situations.
Students will be able to
- recall the formula for the volume of a cone,
- find the volume of a cone with known side lengths and radius (slant height or perpendicular height given),
- find the volume of a cone where the area of the base is given and the perpendicular height can be calculated,
- calculate a missing length of a cone when given its volume,
- use knowledge of the volume of a cone to solve problems presented as real-life systems.
Students should already be familiar with
- slant height and perpendicular height of a cone,
- right cones,
- the Pythagorean theorem.
Students will not cover
- oblique cones,
- the surface area of a cone.