Lesson Plan: Applications on Sine and Cosine Laws Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use the laws of sines and cosines to solve real-world problems.
Students will be able to
- draw a diagram to represent a real-world problem and establish whether it can be solved by using the law of sines, the law of cosines, or a combination of both,
- solve real-world problems using the law of sines, the law of cosines, or a combination of both, including finding unknown lengths and angle measures,
- solve problems described using directions (north, east, south, and west) and problems given in a wider geometric context (including problems involving circles); this also includes finding areas of triangles or parallelograms.
Students should already be familiar with
- the law of sines,
- the law of cosines,
- describing directions using north, east, south, and west.
Students will not cover
- problems involving radians,