Lesson Plan: Linear and Nonlinear Functions Mathematics • 8th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to determine whether a function is linear or nonlinear.
Students will be able to
- understand what it means for a function to be linear or nonlinear both graphically and algebraically,
- use a table of values to determine whether a function is linear or nonlinear,
- use the equation of a function to determine whether it is linear or nonlinear,
- use the graph of a function to determine whether it is linear or nonlinear.
Students should already be familiar with
- linear equations,
- solving equations using algebraic methods.
Students will not cover
- explicitly calculating the slope of a linear function,
- graphing linear functions.