Lesson Plan: The Geologic Time Scale Geology
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to recognize the geologic time scale and how geological time is classified and divided up using dating methods such as radiometric dating and index fossils.
Students will be able to
- recognize the geologic time scale and describe its divisions,
- explain the methods used to determine the divisions of the geologic time scale, including radiometric dating and index fossils for each period,
- understand why the complete geologic time scale is not seen in any one location on Earth.
Students should already be familiar with
- what an unconformity is,
- the principles of stratigraphy.
Students will not cover
- time divisions below epochs.