Lesson Plan: Word Problems: Subtracting Numbers up to 20 Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to interpret and solve subtraction word problems with numbers up to 20.
Students will be able to
- model and write number sentences for word problems,
- choose an appropriate strategy to solve word problems,
- find missing subtrahends or minuends in word problems,
- check that the answer to a word problem makes sense.
Students should already be familiar with
- strategies for subtraction of numbers up to 20.
Students will not cover
- addition word problems,
- word problems with numbers over 20.