Lesson Plan: Subtracting Tens from Two-Digit Numbers Mathematics • 1st Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to subtract a multiple of ten from a two-digit number and model this with place value blocks and tables.
Students will be able to
- subtract multiples of ten from two-digit numbers using place value blocks,
- subtract multiples of ten from two-digit numbers, recording the calculation in a place value table,
- use place value language to describe subtraction.
Students should already be familiar with
- modeling two-digit numbers using place value blocks,
- subtracting ones from two-digit numbers.
Students will not cover
- numbers greater than 100,
- subtracting numbers other than multiples of 10 from two-digit numbers.