Lesson Plan: Patterns in Motion Science
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to investigate the motion of a pendulum and apply our findings to a real-life situation.
Students will be able to
- define pendulum,
- describe how to make and investigate the motion of a pendulum,
- identify things that need to be kept the same in the experiment,
- compare data to identify patterns and predict motion,
- describe the relationship between the length of the string and the number of cycles of the pendulum,
- describe other examples of swinging patterns in motion.
Students should already be familiar with
- contact forces,
- predicting motion,
- the cause of a motion,
- categorizing forces as push or pull.
Students will not cover
- other noncontact forces such as magnetism.