Lesson Plan: Converting and Comparing Length: Metric Units Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to convert, compare, and order units of length within the metric system using fractions and decimals.
Students will be able to
- understand the relationship between the metric system and place value,
- multiply and divide to convert between units and convert different units of the same measure, including fractions, decimals, and whole numbers up to one million,
- solve word problems involving converting, adding, and subtracting units of measure,
- compare and order up to four different measurements,
- form and solve algebraic equations representing word problems.
Students should already be familiar with
- converting metric units of length, mass, and capacity by breaking apart the number,
- tenths, hundredths, and thousandths to convert between units.
Students will not cover
- multiplying or dividing decimals.