Lesson Plan: Column Subtraction of Three-Digit Numbers: Partial Differences Mathematics • 2nd Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to subtract a three-digit number from a three-digit number by decomposing one or both numbers first.
Students will be able to
- subtract a three-digit number from a three-digit number by decomposing the subtrahend first,
- decompose two three-digit numbers before finding the difference between each place value and then adding the differences,
- solve subtraction problems using strategies that involve decomposition.
Students should already be familiar with
- modeling three-digit numbers using place value equipment,
- decomposing three-digit numbers,
- subtracting three-digit numbers from three-digit numbers using other strategies.
Students will not cover
- column subtraction,
- numbers with more than three digits.