Lesson Plan: Lewis Acids and Bases Chemistry
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to explain what Lewis acids and bases are, along with their characteristic properties, and identify them in chemical reactions.
Students will be able to
- define a Lewis acid and base and compare the difference between them,
- compare and explain the difference between a Lewis acid/base and a Brønsted–Lowry acid/base,
- illustrate Lewis acids or bases through Lewis structures,
- identify Lewis acids and bases in chemical reactions,
- Identify chemical species that can act as both Lewis acids and bases.
Students should already be familiar with
- acidity and basicity,
- Brønsted–Lowry acids and bases,
- Lewis structures.
Students will not cover
- hard and soft acids/bases,
- explanations of Lewis acidity/basicity through molecular orbitals.