Lesson Plan: Graphs of Rational Functions Mathematics • 10th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to graph rational functions whose denominators are linear, determine the types of their asymptotes, and describe their end behaviors.
Students will be able to
- determine the positions of horizontal and vertical asymptotes for rational functions and use this to help identify their graphs,
- recognize the end behaviors of rational functions,
- identify the correct graph of a rational function,
- identify a rational function from its graph.
Students should already be familiar with
- sketching polynomial functions,
- identifying the zeros of polynomials.
Students will not cover
- graphs of rational functions with nonlinear denominators,
- graphs of nonrational functions.