Lesson Plan: Subtracting Proper Fractions: Denominators Are Multiples Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to subtract proper fractions whose denominators are multiples of the same number first by using models and then by writing equivalent fractions over the same denominator.
Students will be able to
- understand that related fractions are fractions where the denominator of one is a multiple of the denominator of the other,
- represent subtraction of related fractions using models,
- subtract related unit fractions,
- subtract related nonunit fractions.
Students should already be familiar with
- subtracting fractions with the same denominator,
- finding equivalent fractions,
- writing fractions in simplest form,
- finding common denominators.
Students will not cover
- finding the lowest common denominator.