Lesson Plan: Perpendicular Bisector of a Line Segment Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the perpendicular bisector of a line segment by identifying its midpoint and finding the perpendicular line passing through that point.
Students will be able to
- find the midpoint of a line segment given its endpoints,
- find the coordinates of an endpoint given the midpoint and the other endpoint,
- understand that the midpoint of a diameter of a circle is the center,
- find the equation of the perpendicular bisector to a line segment by identifying its midpoint and finding the perpendicular line passing through that point.
Students should already be familiar with
- finding the distance between two points,
- equations of perpendicular lines.
Students will not cover
- equations of circles,
- intersections of circles and straight lines.