Lesson Plan: Uses of Electrolytic Cells Chemistry
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to describe conditions and applications for the electrolysis of molten salts and salt solutions.
Students will be able to
- describe the electrolytic purification of copper,
- describe the process of electroplating using a dc current,
- explain the reasons for electroplating.
Students should already be familiar with
- the electrolysis of salt solutions and melts.
Students will not cover
- the industrial extraction of copper from low-grade sources,
- links to standard values from the electrochemical series.