Lesson Plan: Center of Gravity of Laminas Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the position of the center of gravity of a lamina composed of standard shapes in 2D.
Students will be able to
- find the center of gravity of laminas that are rectangles, triangles, or other standard 2D shapes including semicircles,
- find the center of gravity of laminas composed of standard 2D shapes,
- find the center of gravity of a lamina with additional masses added,
- solve applied problems related to center of gravity, for example, finding unknown angle measures given that the system is suspended from a vertex.
Students should already be familiar with
- moments and related calculations,
- center of gravity of particles,
- center of gravity of rods.
Students will not cover
- center of gravity of solids.