Lesson Plan: Even and Odd Functions Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives and prerequisites of the lesson teaching students how to decide whether a function is even, odd, or neither both from a graph of the function and from its rule.
Students will be able to
- determine the parity of a function, classifying it as even, odd, or neither,
- understand the algebraic conditions that need to be satisfied for a function to be
- even: ,
- odd: ,
- understand the graphical condition of symmetry needed for a function to be
- even: reflectional symmetry in the ,
- odd: rotational symmetry of order 2 about the origin.
Students should already be familiar with
- piecewise functions,
- properties of trigonometric functions.