Lesson Plan: Valence Science
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to determine the valence of different elements.
Students will be able to
- recall how the number of electrons in the outer shell of an atom affects chemical reactions,
- explain how atoms complete their outer shells of electrons during chemical reactions,
- define the term valence,
- use electronic configurations of atoms to deduce their valences,
- highlight elements that have multiple valences,
- give examples of polyatomic ions and their valences.
Students should already be familiar with
- electronic structure.
Students will not cover
- deduction of a chemical formula.