Lesson Plan: Estimating Differences between Three-Digit Numbers: Compatible Numbers Mathematics • 3rd Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use compatible numbers to estimate the difference between numbers up to 1,000.
Students will be able to
- identify compatible numbers to use when estimating the difference between three-digit numbers,
- use compatible numbers to estimate the difference between three-digit numbers,
- understand that there are multiple ways to estimate differences,
- estimate the difference in word problems using compatible numbers.
Students should already be familiar with
- using compatible numbers to estimate sums of three-digit numbers.
Students will not cover
- estimating the difference between four-digit numbers.