Lesson Plan: The Steps of Digestion
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to describe the functions of the parts of the digestive system and model digestion in the mouth and stomach.
Students will be able to
- describe the function of the mouth, tongue, teeth, esophagus, stomach, small intestine, and large intestine,
- describe and predict the results of an experiment demonstrating digestion in the stomach.
Students should already be familiar with
- systems of the human body,
- the idea that nutrients come from the food we eat,
- the importance of digestion,
- identifying the mouth, tongue, teeth, esophagus, stomach, small intestine, and large intestine,
- ordering the parts of the digestive system.
Students will not cover
- the function of villi in the absorption of nutrients in the small intestine,
- the role of enzymes or bile,
- the excretion of waste from the body.