Lesson Plan: Number Patterns Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to create or extend a number pattern given its rule and derive rules from number patterns involving natural numbers.
Students will be able to
- find the rules of number patterns by looking at the difference between each two successive numbers,
- describe increasing and decreasing patterns,
- describe growing patterns,
- extend a number pattern using its rule,
- identify number patterns to solve word problems.
Students should already be familiar with
- the set of natural numbers,
- operations on natural numbers.
Students will not cover
- shape patterns,
- writing rules with algebraic expressions.