Lesson Plan: Subtracting Two-Digit Numbers with Regrouping Mathematics • 1st Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use place value models to subtract a two-digit number from a two-digit number when regrouping and model this with place value equipment.
Students will be able to
- identify differences that will involve regrouping,
- use place value models to regroup tens to subtract 2 two-digit numbers,
- model given subtraction problems with place value blocks,
- draw models to subtract 2 two-digit numbers.
Students should already be familiar with
- decomposing two-digit numbers,
- the place value of two-digit numbers,
- subtracting a one-digit number from a two-digit number with regrouping.
Students will not cover
- subtracting on a number line,
- using the formal column method to subtract.