Lesson Plan: Classifying Quadrilaterals Mathematics • 4th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to sort and classify quadrilaterals by their properties and name them as trapezoids, parallelograms, rhombuses, rectangles, or squares.
Students will be able to
- classify quadrilaterals as squares, rectangles, parallelograms, rhombuses, trapezoids, or none of these,
- describe the properties of each quadrilateral,
- name quadrilaterals in as many ways as possible,
- sort quadrilaterals using Venn diagrams,
- understand the hierarchy of quadrilaterals.
Students should already be familiar with
- describing polygons according to their properties (e.g., number of sides or angles),
- recognizing parallel and perpendicular lines,
- classifying angles as acute, right, or obtuse using Venn diagrams.
Students will not cover
- classifying quadrilaterals based on their diagonals,
- the sum of the angles of a quadrilateral and properties of opposite angles.