Lesson Plan: Definite Integrals as Limits of Riemann Sums Mathematics • Higher Education
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to interpret a definite integral as the limit of a Riemann sum when the size of the partitions tends to zero.
Students will be able to
- understand and use the correct notation for definite integrals,
- understand and evaluate definite integrals as limits of Riemann sums.
Students should already be familiar with
- right, left, and midpoint Riemann sums,
- the concept and use of the limit operation.
Students will not cover
- evaluating definite integrals as antiderivatives.