Lesson Plan: Ions Chemistry • 7th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to write and interpret symbols for ions and calculate ionic charges using protons and electrons.
Students will be able to
- recall the different charges of the particles that make up an atom,
- use the terms anion and cation to describe positive and negative ions,
- use the number of electrons lost or gained from an atom to calculate the overall charge of the ion,
- explain why atoms have no overall charge,
- calculate the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons in atoms and ions,
- relate an element’s position on the periodic table to the likely charge of its common ion,
- define the charges and names of common polyatomic ions to write accurate chemical formulas.
Students should already be familiar with
- the structure of the atom,
- the atomic number, mass number, and relative atomic mass.
Students will not cover
- electronic configurations,
- calculating the charge of polyatomic ions.