Lesson Plan: Rectilinear Motion and Integration Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to apply integrals to solve problems involving motion in a straight line.
Students will be able to
- find the change in the velocity of a particle over a certain time period when given the acceleration function, ,
- find the velocity function of a particle, , when given the acceleration function, , and an initial condition:
- extend this to find the instantaneous velocity at a certain time,
- find the displacement of a particle over a certain time period when given the velocity function, ,
- find the displacement function, , when given the velocity function, , and an initial condition:
- extend this to find displacement at a certain time.
Students should already be familiar with
- integration (definite and indefinite),
- speed as the magnitude of velocity.
Students will not cover
- acceleration as a function of position,
- non-linear motion,
- motion defined in terms of 2D and 3D vectors.