Lesson Plan: Factoring Perfect Square Trinomials Mathematics • 9th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to factor a perfect square trinomial expression.
Students will be able to
- recognize when a trinomial is a perfect square and find unknowns in perfect square trinomials,
- factor perfect square trinomials,
- factor trinomials that result in a perfect square trinomial after removing a common factor from each term,
- evaluate algebraic expressions and evaluate numerical expressions using perfect square trinomials.
Students should already be familiar with
- expanding perfect squares,
- factoring trinomials,
- square roots of perfect squares and rational numbers.
Students will not cover
- factoring the difference of two squares,
- factoring trinomials that are not perfect squares.