Lesson Plan: Subtracting Ones from Two-Digit Numbers on a Number Line Mathematics • 2nd Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to count backward on number lines to subtract single-digit numbers from two-digit numbers.
Students will be able to
- count back along a number line to subtract a single-digit number from a two-digit number,
- use partitioning to help subtract across a 10,
- apply knowledge of subtracting using a number line when solving word problems.
Students should already be familiar with
- subtracting single digits from two-digit numbers using a hundred chart,
- partitioning to help with calculations.
Students will not cover
- subtracting ones from two-digit numbers without using a number line,
- subtracting two-digit numbers,
- subtracting from three-digit numbers.