Lesson Plan: Finding Halves Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find half of a set of objects or an amount.
Students will be able to
- find one half of a set by creating two equal groups,
- find one half of a set by sharing one item at a time,
- compare fractions of a group of objects with fractions of a number,
- solve word problems involving halves of even numbers.
Students should already be familiar with
- dividing a shape into halves, quarters, and thirds,
- making a whole,
- writing unit and nonunit fractions for halves, thirds, and quarters of shapes.
Students will not cover
- mixed numbers,
- fractions on number lines,
- comparing fractions of amounts other than halves,
- multiplying by fractions in equations (e.g., ),
- finding the whole when given a half.