Lesson Plan: The Sources and Preparation of Carbon Dioxide Science
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to describe the sources of carbon dioxide gas and how to prepare and test for it.
Students will be able to
- identify and describe sources of carbon dioxide gas,
- describe the test for the presence of carbon dioxide gas using limewater,
- define the term precipitate,
- identify the precipitate formed when carbon dioxide is added to limewater,
- describe how to prepare carbon dioxide gas from calcium carbonate.
Students should already be familiar with
- states of matter,
- elements, atoms, and molecules,
- the importance of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere,
- the preparation and properties of oxygen.
Students will not cover
- investigating the properties of gaseous carbon dioxide.