Lesson Plan: Converting Lengths: Customary Units Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives and prerequisites of the lesson teaching students how to convert between inches, feet, yards, and miles and compare lengths including mixed units.
Students will be able to
- model the conversions between inches, feet, yards, and miles,
- use multiplication and division to convert between units of length,
- convert with whole numbers, fractions, and decimals,
- compare two measurements with different units,
- solve simple word problems by converting units.
Students should already be familiar with
- using models to understand units of conversion,
- converting between inches, feet, and yards in whole numbers.