Lesson Plan: Fraction Word Problems Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use models to solve fraction-based word problems and write story problems to reflect fractions.
Students will be able to
- construct fraction strips,
- represent word problems using fraction strips,
- represent word problems using fractional notation,
- write story problems to match given fractions,
- use fraction strips to help solve word problems with two steps.
Students should already be familiar with
- reading and writing proper fractions,
- the terms numerator and denominator,
- using fraction strips (bar models) to represent fractions.
Students will not cover
- adding or subtracting fractions,
- multiplying or dividing fractions,
- using equivalent fractions,
- improper fractions or mixed numbers.