Lesson Plan: Oxidization and Reduction Science
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to identify and analyze oxidization and reduction reactions.
Students will be able to
- explain the concepts of oxidization and reduction,
- describe oxidization in terms of gaining oxygen or losing hydrogen,
- describe reduction in terms of gaining hydrogen or losing oxygen,
- identify reactants as either oxidizing agents or reducing agents,
- give examples of reactions in which oxidization and reduction occur,
- show the link between oxidization and reduction through the movement of electrons.
Students should already be familiar with
- the electronic configuration of atoms and ions, both in compounds and isolated.
Students will not cover
- the relative strength of oxidizing and reducing agents.